Short on time or just feel like doing something a bit different when in Arusha? This is the perfect hike for anyone active, for families or even great for locals who want to do something a little different on the weekend.
Why this itinerary?
Early in the morning, normally around 7am, you are collected from your hotel with a packed lunch and transferred to Arusha National Park. At Momella Gate we complete registration formalities and collect our Ranger before driving to the very end of the road to Kitoto View Point.
From here we trek for up to 4 hours through the Afromontane forest and into the crater before heading back to the car. Now you can take your time, overlooking the outstanding views and taking in the morning’s events.
In the afternoon you have the option to either call it a day and be transferred home or to spend a bit more time and wind your way through the national park (at no additional cost) before heading back.
Upon arrival, you will be met by a representative of Suricata Safaris to congratulate you and answer any other questions you may have.
A morning hike on the beautiful slopes of the incredible Mt Meru with an excursion into the crater before returning for a picnic at Kitoto View Point. This hike can be combined with an afternoon game drive to Arusha National Park before returning home.
Signs and possible sightings of wildlife on foot, Afromontane forest, less busy than Kilimanjaro, excellent bird life and game drives in Arusha National Park. One of the most under rated mountains in East Africa.
- Arrival and Departure Kilimanjaro airport (JRO) transfers to/from Arusha [For those who arrive/depart from Nairobi, we include schedule shuttle bus transfer, available at 8AM and 2PM daily]
- Transport from the hotel in Arusha to the mountain and back to the Hotel.
- Kilimanjaro national park permits, camping/hut fees, mountain rescue fees, value added tax (VAT), and all other applicable local government taxes/fees
- Services of Guide, assistant guides, cook and porters
- Maximum of 10 climbers (unless stated otherwise)
- Accommodation in a hotel in Arusha (upgradeable) for 2 nights (before & after the climb), including breakfast and taxes
- Meals on the mountain
- Drinking water: Boiled and filtered water on the trek (recommended to bring a filter/filtrating tablets), and bottled water on the safari.
- Sleeping mat
- Dining tent, tables, chairs
- Bottled oxygen for emergency rescue only
- Items of personal nature
- Climbing gears (most of them can be rented on arrival; we recommend you email the list of items you think you may consider renting)
- Tips to the climbing crew
- Medical equipment which can be rented well in advance for the following costs: $250/group for hyperbaric chamber, $210/group for an emergency oxygen cylinder and $140/group for a stretcher. Please note these prices include a porter to carry the equipment.
- Portable toilets: If you are concerned about using public toilets, a portable toilet is available for an extra $110/person or $180/group. This service must be confirmed at the time of booking.
- The luggage that porters are allowed to carry is limited to 35 pounds (ie: 15 kgs)
- Overweight or extra luggage will require an extra porter at a rate of $10/bag/day
- You can leave extra luggage at your hotel in Arusha or at our office (do not leave any valuables like cash, jewelry, electronics.