A beautiful mountain to hike. Great as a pre Kilimanjaro acclimatisation or as part of a trilogy of East Africa’s highest peaks. Also, a superb pre safari for keen hikers or the adventurous. This 3 day version requires a high level of fitness due to its very long summit day.
A shorter 3 day version of the hike to the summit of Mt Meru, the third highest peak in Tanzania, through verdant afromontane forest into high altitude alpine desert with unparalleled views of a dormant volcano. This itinerary misses out the last night on the mountain. Instead, after summiting, the walk continues all the way back to Momella Gate.
Signs and possible sightings of wildlife on foot, afromontane forest, less busy than Kilimanjaro, excellent bird life and game drives in Arusha National Park. One of the most under rated hikes in East Africa.
In the morning you are collected from your hotel and transferred to Arusha National Park. At the Momella Gate we complete registration formalities before setting off with your guide and armed ranger – there is abundant wildlife in the forests! The forest section is especially scenic with strangler figs and the possibility of seeing buffalo grazing in one of the clearings. In the late afternoon you reach a viewpoint before heading on to Miriakamba Hut for dinner.
START – 4.922 FT / 1.500 M
END – 8.248 FT / 2.514 M
DISTANCE – 9 MI / 14 KM
TIME – 6-8 HRS
CLIMATE ZONE – AFROMONTANE FOREST
You set off from Miriakamba Hut, initially still in the forest zone, but in a few hours as you will reach Saddle Hut for lunch in the alpine desert zone. In the afternoon a walk to the summit of Little Meru (Alt: 12,532ft, 3820m) can be taken for stunning views before heading back to Saddle Hut for dinner.
START – 8.248 FT / 2.514 M
END – 11.713 FT / 3.570 M
DISTANCE – 4 MI / 6 KM
TIME – 4-5 HRS
CLIMATE ZONE – ALPINE DESERT
SUMMIT BID / ARUSHA
You rise early and your hard work is rewarded at dawn as the sun rises to the East. Kilimanjaro is normally clearly seen from here and the sheer cliffs of the crater fall dramatically 1000 feet or more. After taking photos at Socialist Peak (Alt: 14,978ft, 4,565m) you return to our base camp at Saddle Hut for a quick refuel. After some brunch, you start the long hike all the way back to Momella Gate. Here you are met by our driver, who will transfer you back to your accommodation for that well deserved shower!
Upon arrival, you will be met by a representative of Suricata Safaris to congratulate you and answer any other questions you may have.
START – 11.713 FT / 3.570 M
END – 4.922 FT / 1.500 M
DISTANCE – 16 MI / 25 KM
TIME – 16-18 HRS
CLIMATE ZONES – ALPINE DESERT / AFROMONTANE FOREST
- Arrival and Departure Kilimanjaro airport (JRO) transfers to/from Arusha [For those who arrive/depart from Nairobi, we include schedule shuttle bus transfer, available at 8AM and 2PM daily]
- Transport from the hotel in Arusha to the mountain and back to the Hotel.
- Kilimanjaro national park permits, camping/hut fees, mountain rescue fees, value added tax (VAT), and all other applicable local government taxes/fees
- Services of Guide, assistant guides, cook and porters
- Maximum of 10 climbers (unless stated otherwise)
- Accommodation in a hotel in Arusha (upgradeable) for 2 nights (before & after the climb), including breakfast and taxes
- Meals on the mountain
- Drinking water: Boiled and filtered water on the trek (recommended to bring a filter/filtrating tablets), and bottled water on the safari.
- Sleeping mat
- Dining tent, tables, chairs
- Bottled oxygen for emergency rescue only
- Items of personal nature
- Climbing gears (most of them can be rented on arrival; we recommend you email the list of items you think you may consider renting)
- Tips to the climbing crew
- Medical equipment which can be rented well in advance for the following costs: $250/group for hyperbaric chamber, $210/group for an emergency oxygen cylinder and $140/group for a stretcher. Please note these prices include a porter to carry the equipment.
- Portable toilets: If you are concerned about using public toilets, a portable toilet is available for an extra $110/person or $180/group. This service must be confirmed at the time of booking.
- The luggage that porters are allowed to carry is limited to 35 pounds (ie: 15 kgs)
- Overweight or extra luggage will require an extra porter at a rate of $10/bag/day
- You can leave extra luggage at your hotel in Arusha or at our office (do not leave any valuables like cash, jewelry, electronics.